1) Whole chicken : 1 (~ 1 kg)
2) Plain yogurt/Curd: 4 tablespoons
3) Vinegar/lemon juice: 2 tablespoon.
4) Ginger-Garlic: 2 tablespoons coarsely grounded
5) Vegetable oil: 3-4 tablespoons & some for brushing
6) Ground pepper: 1 tsp
7) Red Chilli Powder: depending upon hotness you want
8) Kasoori Methi : 1 tablespoon
9) Salt to taste
10) Tandoori Masala/Garam Masala: 1 tablespoon (you can substitute this for freshly ground garam masala)
11) Red food colour : Few drops
1) Mix all the ingredients from 2-11 together and let it rest for some time.
2) Remove the skin & clean the chicken. Make deep gashes in the whole chicken with a sharp knife.
3) Marinate the chicken well with the spice blend. Rub inside-out well. Let it rest in the refrigerator for atleast 7-8hrs.
4) Preheat the oven to ~180-190deg C and grill the chicken for an 1hr or so (changing sides after 30mins). Using skewers help in turning sides and holding the chicken legs and wings together while grilling. Brush oil to the sides when you turn. Towards the end increase the temperature above 200deg C to allow browning of the top surface. Insert a knife to check if cooked.
5) Remove from oven, sprinkle some parsley & ground pepper. Serve hot with salad, lemon wedges & mint chutney.