1) Chana dal (Cholar dal) : 1/2 cup
2) Freshly ground cardamom powder: 1/2 tsp
3) Cashew nuts/ pistachios : 1 tbsp chopped or as desired.
4) Milk : 1/2-3/4 cup
5) Milk powder : 2 tbsp
6) Sugar: 1/2 cup (depending upon how sweet you want)
7) Ghee & oil: 1 tbsp each (add a little more generously if you are not too conscious)
8) Dessicated coconut and black cardamom seeds for garnishing (can choose garnishing of your choice)
9) Yellow food color: 1-2 drops
1) Wash and soak Chana dal overnight (or atleast for 4-5hrs)
2) Boil till tender enough to be mashed but not overboiled.
3) Remove from flame, cool and mash coarsely with little water still in it (water can later be dried up)
4) Take a pan. Heat the ghee and oil together. Add the mashed chana dal to it and keep stirring to avoid burning till the raw smell disappears.
5) Add food color and mix, followed by cardamom powder and chopped cashew. Mix well.
6) Add milk and milk powder and mix well till the mixture attains a halwa thickness. Add more milk and milk powder if desired. Do not worry you cannot go wrong with proportions. If you think your mixture needs to thicken more just add some more milk powder and stir.
7) Take a generously greased plate (with ghee) and spread the hot halwa on it (of more than an inch thickness, it may vary to suit you). Use your hands to shape up. Mind it, it's very hot.
8) Now sprinkle some dessicated coconut on top.
9) Let it cool for more than an hour (must allow proper cooling) and then cut into desired shapes, add black cardamom seeds to decorate (it tastes great) and serve chilled.
Simple recipe yet divinely delicious !