Time for some yum yum yummy side dish.....
So, get going....
1) 1 cup of urad dal
2) 1/4 cup of rice
3) Yogurt or dahi
4) Tamarind sweet and sour chutney
5) Tomato sauce
6) Roasted and ground cuminseed and dry red chillies
7) Chat masala (optional)
8) Salt to taste
9) Oil for deep frying
10) 5-6 Curry leaves, 2 dry red chillies
11) A pinch of black mustard seeds
Method of preparation
1) Soak urad dal and rice overnight or atleast for 5-6hrs.
2) Grind the soaked dal and rice in a mixer to a proper consistency to prepare round vadas. Do not add too much water during grinding.
3) Take the batter, add salt and whip it in circular motions for a while.
4) Take small portions and deep fry in oil.
5) Remove from oil after the vadas attain a golden brown colour and transfer them in a bowl containing water.
6) Let it soak for about 10 mins.
7) Prepare dahi in another container. Whip the yogurt, add salt and chat masala to it and keep it aside.
8) Take the vadas out from the water and gently squeeze out the water holding them between your palms and pressing them.
9) Put the vadas in the yougurt and let it soak.
10) Take a small frying pan, add 2 teaspoons of oil. Heat the oil, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the curry leaves and red chillies. Stir for a while.
11) Add this tadka to the prepared dahi vadas as garnishing.
12) Finally sprinkle the roasted and ground cuminseed and red chilly powder and chat masala on top.
13) Add the tamarind chutney and tomato sauce before serving.
Delicious Dahi vada is ready to serve.