For the Puri ( for 6 Puris):
1) All purpose flour/ maida: 1 cup
2) Oil: 1 tbspn
3) Salt to taste
For the filling:
1) Chana dal/ Cholar dal: 1/2 cup soaked in water for 4-5 hrs
2) Cinnamon: 1/2 inch stick
3) Cardamom: 2
4) Cumin seed/ jeera: 1/2 tsp
5) Saunf/ fennel seeds: 1/2 tsp
6) Turmeric: a pinch
7) Salt and sugar to taste
8) Ghee/ oil for deep frying
Method of Preparation
1) Add 1tbsp of oil to the maida and knead well adding water to a relatively hard dough. Leave it aside for 30 mins.
2) Take the soaked chana dal and grind it to a course paste with minimun addition of water.
3) Lightly roast cinnamon, cardamom and cumin seeds and grind them to powder.
4) Heat 1tspn oil in a pan. To it add the fennel seeds. Add the dal paste. To it add the dry roasted and ground spices, turmeric, salt and sugar and fry it well to get rid of the raw smell. Note: the filling should be slightly on the sweeter side, this is typical of Bengal.
5) Let the mixture cool down.
6) Make small balls of the dough, put the filling into it and roll into puris.
7) Deep fry till light golden brown.
Serve with cholar dal or any other vegetarian side dish (preferably containing potatoes).